Posts for tag: Dermatology
Take years off your skin thanks to this skin resurfacing system.
Aging happens to all of us; however, it doesn’t mean our skin has to give away our age. Of course, if you’ve spent years basking in the sun to get the perfect tan or you had acne as a teenager that has now left scars, you may be looking for a treatment option that will be able to reduce or even get rid of these issues and improve the texture, tone, and overall appearance of your skin.
What is microdermabrasion?
During microdermabrasion, a dermatologist will glide a small device over the skin that contains fine crystals designed to remove the outermost layer of dead skin to reveal healthier, more radiant and younger-looking skin underneath.
As the handheld device is directed over the skin to blast away dead skin cells and remove the outer layers of the skin it also stimulates the production of collagen and the growth of new skin cells. Collagen is instrumental in keeping skin tight and firm but our bodies do not produce as much collagen as we get older, which is why the skin becomes loose and saggy.
What can microdermabrasion help with?
Microdermabrasion is a great treatment option for handling a variety of dermatological issues. If you feel like your skin has become dull and lifeless, this treatment can enhance and improve the tone and radiance of your skin.
Since this treatment removes the outer layers of the skin, it can reduce the appearance of acne scars, lines and wrinkles, stretch marks, age spots and other imperfections. If you are someone who has enlarged pores, microdermabrasion can clean out the pores to remove excess oil and to reduce their appearance.
Microdermabrasion doesn’t just reduce imperfections in the skin, it can also help tighten the skin and make it look more vibrant.
What can I expect from microdermabrasion treatment?
The treatment itself is completely painless and only takes between 30 minutes to one hour to complete. Depending on the severity of the issues you wish to treat, your dermatologist will tell you how many sessions you will need to get the results you want. Typically, you’ll receive anywhere from five to 12 treatments spread out a couple of weeks apart, but you should notice results almost immediately.
If you are interested in what microdermabrasion can do for your skin then it’s time to talk to a dermatologist who can discuss your treatment goals and determine the best course of action to give you that healthy, glowing and younger-looking skin.
Your skin is your armor—it protects you against injury and infection. Typically, people tend to concentrate on caring for their face because it is what is most noticeable to others. However, it is important to care for skin below the neck as well. Proper skin care varies by body part, as some areas have thinner, more sensitive skin than others. Your dermatologist in provides you with the information you need to properly care for your skin.
While shopping for skin care products at the pharmacy or beauty store, it may be difficult to decide what products to use on your skin. Your dermatologist offers you helpful tips in caring for the skin on each part of your body, including your:
- Face – The best way to prevent dry skin on your face is to moisturize.
- Lips – Since your lips retain less moisture than other parts of your body, they tend to dry out more quickly, which means it is important to maintain moisture by using balm several times a day.
- Hands – Your hands bare the brunt of the seasons more than any other part of your body. It is important to pay attention to your hands by applying moisturizer—especially during the flu season when we tend to wash our hands more vigorously than normal.
- Feet – Use a thick moisturizer daily on your feet to maintain moisture and keep your feet softer.
- Scalp – In order to keep your scalp from drying, wash your hair once a day with a mild shampoo and do not use water that is too hot.
- Body – Try washing your body with a moisturizing cleanser. If you have sensitive skin look for skin care products that cater to your individual skin needs.
Visit your dermatologist today, for more information on how to properly care for your skin year round. Whether your skin is normal, oily or sensitive, there is a skin care treatment just for you.